Travel to Cusco, Choquequirao to Machu Picchu Trek: For the first part you’ll travel to Cusco to acclimatise. And then you’re ready to embark on a 65 km trek takes you through lush jungles, deep canyons; and many snow-capped peaks along the way to Machu Picchu. If you’re in for a great Peru adventure; this is one of the most beautiful treks in the Cusco Region.
The Inca city is situated in the vast landscape of the Vilcabamba Range above the Apurimac River Canyon. Thick forest has covered this Inca site for many years and it has only been discovered in relatively recent times.
There are amazing views of the Vilcabamba Range and the trail descends deep into the Apurimac Canyon; making this a truly magnificent hike.
The main ruins of this trek — Choquequirao, Llactapata, & Machu Picchu — all have their own distinct features and functions. The Incas built an all encompassing trail system; spanning these sites and the whole of the Sacred Valley, ensuring it is an adventurous trek.
- Experience the ancient ruins of Choquequirao, “Sister City” of Machu Picchu
- Pass through the recently-uncovered ruins of Picha Unuyoc
- Descend down to the Rio Blanco for a refreshing dip in the river
- Climb the Abra San Juan pass (4150m) with views of Cordillera Vilcabamba
- Finish the trek at Machu Picchu, and explore the ruins at sunrise