An Adventure of South Peru
This is a true adventure of South Peru; easily customisable to your group travel requirements. The itinerary outlined here is a sample of what’s possible in this stunning part of the country.
Travel from the vast metropolis of Lima; having enjoyed the colonial history, culture & cuisine of Lima; to the stunning white city of Arequipa. Explore this beautiful city and the cultural quarters it possesses, for the adventurous we can incorporate climbs of Chacani or Misti Volcanoes.
Arequipa & the Canyons
Following then; from Arequipa it’s an overnight bed bus to Colca Canyon or the less visited Cotahuasi Canyon. Explore these canyons over the course of 3 to 5 days. Cotahuasi Canyon is one of the deepest canyons in the world. With a depth of approximately 3,354 metres (11,004 ft); it is more than twice as deep as the Grand Canyon. There is an abundance of epic landscapes; culture and nature to enjoy here.
So then; onward flying out of Arequipa to Juliaca Airport to enjoy the spectacular Lake Titicaca; the highest & largest navigable lake in the world. Lying between the border of Peru and Bolivia in the heart of the Andes Mountains; this lake remains one of the great attractions of Peru. Visit Amantani, Uros & Taquile Islands; the infrastructure and traditions of these islands is something very unique to Peru and a pleasure to discover. For more adventure; there are options to enjoy a kayak expedition from 1-3 days around the lake also.
Cusco & the Sacred Valley
Afterwards; flying out of Juliaca Airport to Cusco in readiness for the exploration of a lifetime and discovery of Machu Picchu which lies deep in the heart of the Sacred Valley. Taking a day or so to explore the unique and decorated city of Cusco; you’ll discover famous Incan sites such as Sacsayhuaman, Q’Enko, Tambomachay and more. Following then; you’ll head into the Sacred to discover all of it’s charms and ancient sites that make up the incredible story of this valley. Surrounded by giant nevados such as Salkantay, Veronica and more you’ll feel the reverence of this wonderous Valley before taking one of the most scenic train journies in the world; into Machu Picchu. One of the seven wonders of the world this famously abandonned site of the Incan era remains well preserved and protected for your experience.
From Cusco you’ll fly into the Tambopata National Reserve (Amazon Jungle.) to explore another vast and incredible environment of Peru. Discover the vast ecosystems of the Madre de Dios river and stay in a jungle lodge; with options for adventure kayaking or boating down rivers to explore local communities and tribal existence. The Amazon Jungle will leave you with sense of peace and awe and is a perfect way to finish your expedition of South Peru.
Above all; this 17-day itinerary takes you to Peru’s major highlights, it’s a true adventure of South Peru.
- Arriving into the metropolitan city of Lima; stopover at the Ramada Costa Del Sol or spend a day or two exploring the sights of Lima before taking your domestic flight the following morning to Arequipa.
- Arrive to explore the colonial white city of Arequipa on your first day.
- Over the course of the next days; discover Colca Canyon, one of the world’s deepest canyons.
- Afterwards; moving onto Lake Titicaca. A place rich with history, culture, and natural beauty. The worlds highest navigable lake is full of impressive islands and people.
- Continuing on to the Inca capital of Cusco. Explore colorful textile & food markets along with the small welcoming towns of the Sacred Valley tour.
- Travel to Machu Picchu or complete a trek to the incan citadel to suit your expedition style.
- Ending the expedition in style by visiting the incredible environment of the Amazon Jungle; for Peru Amazon tours in the Tambopata Reserve.
- Then fly out of Puerto Maldonado into Lima for your connecting international flight out.